Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A night for restless spirits,

If ever there was one.

I walk the nearly deserted streets, staring with childish, wide-eyed wonder at the brick, mortar, and stone. It's a beautiful night, crisp and clear; my breath forms only the faintest hint of mist as it departs my lips, then fades. Above, the full moon's light slashes through a haze of clouds, unable to restrain the distant, reflected sunlight from the dark side of the world. Even the shadows of the gargoyles I always envision, just out of sight, twist their phantasmal, granite lips into smiles as I pass. 'This way,' they seem to say, as well as 'We have a thing to show you.'

It is a night for restless spirits, and if nothing else I am one.

Tonight, I walk alone; solitude is good for the heart.

But, often, I fantasize about finding a spirit as restless as my own, to wander aimlessly on nights such as these, to find more of what we are searching for simply because the other is there; to appreciate wordlessly each other's presence, to be alone together. Can the veil between dreams and life fall, just for one evening? Can I go to sleep, and forget I have done so? Can I wake up tomorrow, at a mountain, near a stream, though I go to sleep in my own bed?

Any number of stories I have written to this effect; perhaps soon I shall post some.

To someone who may find this a bit repetitive: Vayas conmigo, mostrame que le miras, permitanos a suenar juntos por un noche solo.

The search is not to find answers.
The path is never at its end.

It is a night for restless spirits.

Sleep, but when you dream:
Search out the corners of your eyes,
The gargoyles will show you the way.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:07 AM , Blogger elin said...

    is this my inspiration?

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    That's up to you, of course.

    I wrote it, and then, reading what you had written, thought it might amuse you. Metaphoric implications abound!

     
  • At 9:01 AM , Blogger elin said...

    i can see the connection. i enjoyed all of your posts, you are an excellent writer.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home