Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Normally, I try to stay as far away from all the celebrity-gossip junk as I can, but this was just FUNNY.

"...have sex in an elevator with Scarlett Johansson...? I kind of like ... you know, I ... well ... I don't know. Let's leave that to [your] imagination." -- Benicio Del Toro

Scarlett Johansson is that cute young lady from Lost in Translation, and I must say, for what I've seen of her at least, she's quite a charmer, an excellent actress (particularly for her youth,) and lovely in an endearing, real human way besides.

I think most celebrity crushes are pretty ridiculous, as is the culture's obsession with them. When Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston split up, I knew this because at the convenient store, three "gossip" rags near the counter all bore images of the two actors, a line bisecting them, and the headlines creatively read "Why They Split," "Reasons Behind The Split," and "Why They Split Up." Sometimes I find this disgusting; other days, it's just funny.

All right, so someone is in a television show or has a role in hollywood movies. What does this say about them as a person? Not very much. Don't even get me started on the likes of Britney Spears. There are innumerable thousands of reasonably physically attractive women out there, and if you paid any them millions of dollars so that all they had to do all day was have their stylist select designer clothes for them, mold their bodies with a full-time personal trainer, and have a hair and makeup artist make them into some twisted archetype of beauty -- BEFORE a professional photographer gets to them and does digital-gods-know-what to the images he produces, then any of those women could take Britney's place. She's not even a -person-. Oh, sure, there probably is a real young woman in there, somewhere. But we don't know her, none of her "fans," (or detractors, for that matter), know anything about that person. We just know the image, crafted from clay and wire, spray-painted to look like a girl.

But if I had to answer about 'celebrity crushes,' as in 'what movie stars am I the most attracted to,' I'd have to include Miss Johansson in that list, along with Natalie Portman, and probably Angelina Jolie. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home