Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Why I'm a Republican, and why, perhaps, you should be, too.

I got a card in the mail today that began "dear republican voter," and it reminded me to share a political idea that seems sort of rare, but I don't think it's that farfetched. It involves why in the world I'm a registered Republican.

Just about all of us will agree that both of the United States political parties are pretty stupid, all in all. But if I asked you "which party is more likely to field a candidate that's really, really stupid -- so stupid he's probably going to be destructive?" what would you say? Wouldn't it make sense, then, to be a member of that party, so you'd have the chance to vote AGAINST that candidate in primary elections?

The United States party system is really, really weird. Being a member of either party doesn't DO anything; you can vote for whomever you want in the general elections, regardless, you're never under any obligations to vote for, pay, or do anything in support of "your" party, they don't get seats in congress simply based upon their numbers.

So, in 2000, I had the opportunity to vote for Sen. John McCain from Arizona as the Republican candidate for President. We all know who ended up securing the Republican nomination.

Yep.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:38 PM , Blogger MayFlyAway said...

    my building, habitable still, will be hosting a showing of my photography. I hope you will come and say hello.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home