Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

On the Shaving of Legs :

So, I do, and though I'm not going to detail the reasons at the moment, save to say that I am a cyclist, I have a few remarks to make about it:

A few points that women who shave their legs may not have considered about men who do: First of all, more testosterone tends to lead to thicker, coarser body hair. Especially if you are a blonde or redheaded woman, you have it easy in comparison. It's pretty easy to cut yourself in the process. Also, there's the question of body fat. Men have sometimes half the body fat a woman would have at similar fitness levels, and cyclists tend to have half that of most men. This means veins and capillaries are much closer to the surface, leading to annoying bumps that make it easy to cut, and more bleeding if you do.

As Frankie Andreu said, "The main thing is to not cut yourself and bleed to death in the tub."

By all means, do this sitting or lying down, rather than standing up in the shower, or gravity will make you regret it.

For more amusing information, see The Funk's Undeniable Bible of Shaving.

Also, there's an ongoing debate among men who shave their legs (and use modern safety razors) about whether a standard men's razor or a women's one should be used. I swallow my pride and use a women's razor from a popular manufacturer, despite the purple colour. It's easier to grip and slightly more forgiving for that purpose. I still use a men's disposable razor for my face. There may be those few crazies who use a straight razor on either part, but I happen to like my tendons and arteries.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM , Blogger ryan said...

    When I was shaving my legs I just used the same Mach 3 that I use on my face. My face suffered from the ensuing dullness, but my legs always came out great. Of course, I am at least 51% girl, and have fairly sparse leg hair.

    If I was, say, Chinese, or Mexican, or even CIA, then I might have more to worry about.

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Yeah, mine's ... not sparse. Must be the Italian. Or the sonofabitch.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home