Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Hypocrisy, tolerance, and ignorance:

Dear Sir or Madam,

You recently replied to a weblog regarding the issue of the Danish periodical and the Mohammed-depicting cartoons. I do not aim to discuss the issue of the cartoons at this point; rather, I am interested in addressing your response's linguistic "eccentricities," if you will.

You state, "U r making me laugh abt ur western democracy ... Jee thanx again it shows pure ignorance on ur behalf."

Seriously, is that the best you can do? It's ironic that you declare it shows "pure ignorance" on the part of the weblog's author. Now, I can type better than the average, I'll admit, but "you" does not take very long to type. How much time does typing "U r" save you, compared to how completely foolish it makes you appear? Sillier still is "ur," which phonetically sounds like some kind of de-evolved grunting.

There was a time, a couple of centuries ago, when dictionaries were harder to come by, education was far less common and organized, and literacy was not what it is today. When people did write at this point, they often spelled things more or less as they chose. It did not make it easy to understand them, past or present, and it doesn't help you make your case now.

Since you point that "I reject ur 'western democracy" even tough I am a westerner myself," I can only assume that you're the product of the education system of these western democracies. I understand the typographical error leading to though being misspelled tough, but I particularly like how you surrounded the phrase western democracy with an apostrophe on one side and an end-quote on the other. Marvelous.

Two final notes: first, if you're intending to show wonder or puzzlement, hopefully you can find a better way to do so rather than simply holding your finger on the question mark key for longer. In three sentences, you use eight question marks. Whatever you were attempting to demonstrate with this abundance of punctuation, you have failed.

Finally, allow me to address one final remark you make about "the dark ages." You say, "While in the Europe people dint have more than 1 showe in a year the muslim world was flourishing in many filed of science." I cannot begin to dissect this sentence, but I will say I had to read through it three times before I understood its meaning.

In the event I'm missing something entirely about your culture, and so as to not appear prejudiced, I close with the same phrase that you did. Until such time as we understand each other better,

<<<.CHEEEERSSS >>>,

Argentius

2 Comments:

  • At 10:42 AM , Blogger ryan said...

    "Sillier still is "ur," which phonetically sounds like some kind of de-evolved grunting."

    Don't let Gilgamesh hear you saying that. He'll send Enkidu after you.

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    fine, fine, fine, but I'm going to presume he wasn't talking about SUMER here...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home