Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Numbers, numbers, numbers.

Ever since my bike crash I’ve had to deal with absurd amounts of them. I’ve got an insurance policy number, a claim number, a police report number, driver’s licence and number plates from the car, phone numbers, the policy number and claim number from the other insurance company. Keeping it all straight is pretty crazy.

Then there’s the number of how much my late bicycle is worth.

The adjuster from the insurance company of the driver called me today to talk about the value of my bike and gear. I was considerably worried that he would massively low-ball my bike, since it’s not one on the current market and most people consider steel to be an “inferior” building material. My Match Paramount, a unique piece of Portland’s cycling history is worth far more than most run-of-the mill steel frames, especially to me.



I was a little apprehensive to answer “what kind of bike did you have?” Since to most people today a Schwinn is a generic $300 bicycle. I described it as a “Custom hand-lugged steel frame.”

“Oh,” replied the adjuster, “like a Waterford?”

I was stunned. “Yeah, uh, almost exactly like that.”

Waterford, for those who don’t know, made many of the other famous Paramounts, before they turned into mass-produced pretenders, and makes lovely custom steel frames to this day.



Three cheers for insurance adjusters who know bicycles!

Seeing as how big insurance companies don’t like big personal injury lawsuits, I’m sure that, considering the adjuster actually knows what he’s seeing, he’ll take care of me.

If not, then,

2 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM , Blogger ryan said...

    Man, you should demand nothing less than her head on a pike.

    As a warning.

    To the next ten generations.

    Maybe you could look up into her lifeless eyes, and wave?

    Like this?

     
  • At 7:59 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Perhaps you and your associates could arrange that for me?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home