Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Standing with one leg - Can you?

My left knee and hip are still pretty swollen and sore.

Trying to test strength and range of motion as I'm healing, I stumbled upon something strange, and I want to know if you can do it. It goes like this:

Sit on the floor with your feet in front of you. Reach forward with both arms.

Now, you're going to stand up using only one leg. Extend one foot forward so that no part of it touches the ground.

Rise your butt off the ground a little bit, keep one foot planted, and, in one smooth motion, stand.

Your arms and other leg must remain forward. You cannot touch your other heel to the ground, or press it against your other leg for support. No swinging of the arms or bouncing, either.

Can you do it?

I found that it's not very difficult with my right leg, but with my left it's completely impossible due to soreness in my knee and hip.


I asked one other non-cyclist in my company to try, and she failed completely.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    NOT EVEN CLOSE.

    bOTCHED

     
  • At 4:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If I start from sitting, then no, not even close. If I start with my foot under me, so that I'm squatting with my foot, then yes.

    Botched

     
  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Yeah, when I do it from sitting with my right leg, it works, but it's HARD.

    With my injured left, I barely get off the ground, and then it's like "ow, fuck, I'm dead!" and I fall down.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Anonymous uncadan8 said...

    Pistols are awesome! I used to do these a lot when I trained in martial arts, and used them frequently with my clients. They were good for getting my flexibility and strength back after knee surgery as well. Making these a regular part of your exercise plan will pay off on those hill climbs.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home