Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Pet Peeve of the Day : Pennies and taxes.

Washington’s got sales tax. Oregon doesn’t. Now that I’m in Seattle, I’ve got to deal with adding between 8.8 and 9.3% to each purchase. The biggest frustration with this isn’t so much paying the government their due, which is mostly unavoidable, but the sheer irritation of not being able to handily pay with cash. Yesterday after a ride I stopped at a convenience store to buy a candy bar, since I was pretty depleted. They were two for a dollar, and, to my happy surprise, all I had to do was hand the cashier a single and I was done. Apparently, candy bars count as “food,” which is tax-exempt. While Twix bars are only questionably food, and I don’t really care about the 9 cents, it was much easier not to either fish out a dime, which I didn’t have anyhow, or end up with a useless 91 cents.

I have a whole bag of change now from buying coffees, sodas, and other things that aren’t considered food. Last week, I tried to take it into my new local US bank branch to exchange it from annoying base metal into far more spend-able virtual credits. No such friggin’ luck. Oh, says the clerk, they don’t have a changer machine, it would have to be pre-rolled for them to accept it. Guys. You are the bank. If you can’t, then

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home