Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

No tipping at Starbucks.

Who started the plan that tipping at Starbucks was a great idea? It's not.

Perhaps, presuming you accept the standard American method of tipping, it started because many cafes offer sit-down, from-the-menu service. Back before the days of the four-dollar latte, people typically got their terrible coffee at a Denny's or the like, and the server will come around with the coffee pot and refill your cup when it's low. To Insure Prompt Service, perhaps you'd like to leave a tip.

But Starbucks "baristas" are half cashier, half very, very stylish fast food clerk. You don't tip either of those, do you? And, at least here in Cascadia, they are covered by the same generous minimum wage laws as everyone else.

So, the next time you're at the Great Generic American Coffee Shop, and the cashier does something really, really special for you, feel free to hand her, personally, a dollar. But don't just kick your change into the kitty to be divvied up at the end of the shift and let the employer off the hook on a few bucks of wages.

It doesn't make you a better person.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:38 AM , Blogger ryan said...

    Hey! I'm planning on getting a job at Starbucks! You have a good point, however.

    Counterpoint: The barista I usually run into has an Americano ready for me by the time I have my wallet out. Americanos are relatively cheap, so she gets a dollar.

    Other baristas: they get a tip for having to mess with my filthy thermos, but it is usually between 50-65 cents, because I simply round up from whatever a thermos of black coffee costs.

    You better tip if you come into my Starbucks! (not me of course, but the attractive boy/girl I will no doubt have a crush on, whom I'll want to impress with my generous-tipping friends)

     
  • At 1:17 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    I've considered making the coffee for some bucks some time or another, too.

    It's less dramatic to say "less tipping at starbucks." What I mean, of course, is that tips should not be the default standard. They should represent something exceptional.

    The valkyries I've spoken of make a point of pre-preparing drinks, etc, by the time I get there, and so they often got tips, but I've not been to Valhalla of late since in 5 times over 2 weeks, thrice they were out of stock of the scone I get. All 4 other kinds they carry suck, and so I had to go elsewhere for breakfast...

    You've always been an absurdly high tipper; I'd go broke that way! But still.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home