Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Yesterday, I'm grinding up Sumner Heights, managing about 14 miles an hour on the twisty climb of about 6%.

For those of you with no frame of reference: that's hard.

There's a car behind me, and it apparently doesn't want to swing out into the other lane to safely pass me, nor buzz inches from my shoulder, which is a good thing.

At a driveway, I ride at the far right of the road and glance back, telling the driver to come on by, and as the Honda rolls alongside me. It carries two college-aged girls, and the one in the passenger seat waves and says "thank you!"

I smile and nod as they begin to accelerate away, but a few moments later the car's back beside me. "Wow, you're pretty cute!" the girl says. "Nice legs!"

She's pretty cute, too. I'd have turned a bright shade of red, except that I already had from the hill. The ladies speed off, giggling.

The climb is still hard, but I've got a smirk the rest of the way up.

---
Le Tour rolls on!

Spotted on the roads of the l'Alpe d'Huez in this year's Tour de France:

Wo ist Ullrich?

Basso?

Pantani!

And, from Phil & Paul: "Cyril Dessel has had a very hard chase back on after a mechanical incident at the start of the climb."

"Moreau, here, he seems to have had a leg incident."

--

Pronounciation: It's good that Floyd Landis of Phonak has taken the lead again. It was painful to try to listen to commentators stumble over Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears. Just painful.

Then there are riders whose names just get fouled up. Phil Liggett has uttered hundreds of Spanish-speakers' names. Why is Jose Rujano so hard? Rue-Hah-know. That's it. Somehow, he always adds an "I." From whence? Rue-hee-yawn-oh!

---

3 Comments:

  • At 2:14 PM , Anonymous Fatty said...

    I bet that helped you stay fast to the top.

     
  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger uncadan8 said...

    That's awesome about the girl's comment! I only get an opportunity to smirk when I pass an old lady or three-legged dog.

    Dan

    http://danthe1manuncledan.spaces.msn.com/

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Emma Van Der Hoogenband said...

    You do have nice legs...I think the proper term is Sexy Legs...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home