Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Why is it always dry on rest days? Yesterday I left for my ride at 10:30 in the morning and got back at 4:15, I could say it was "dusk" when I got back, but that's not entirely true, because there wasn't any sun in the first place. It was just slightly different-colored clouds. And rain, rain, rain. Then, by 8:30 at night, it was basically clear, and there was some sun this morning. Oh, well. I missed the part on Saturday where all my teammates were crashing in the ice...
Unrelated to that, I have two pet peeves of the day:

"Sticks in my craw." I'm not entirely sure WHAT that is supposed to mean, though I get the idea. What I am entirely sure of is that my life would be better if I never had to hear that ridiculous phrase again. Dictionary.com describes it as "1. the crop of a bird or insect, 2. the stomach of an animal." It even includes the colloquialism mentioned above, defined as "to cause considerable or abiding resentment." Oh, I have considerable AND abiding resentment.

This brings me to my second point: pronunciation "guides," especially in advertising. You've looked at a dictionary at SOME point in your life, I'm sure, and seen the little pronunciation guide following the word, showing you how to say it. Sometimes it'll be in AHA style, with upside-down E's, swoopy-dotted I's, and what have you. Sometimes it'll be in the superior, but more complated International Phonetic Alphabet, or IPA, guide, which works for all languages:



In either case, you don't just get to take a word, break it up into what you think the syllables are, and maybe make a letter or two capitalized. Yet, it seems this sort of pretend dictionary is de rigeur for advertisers lately. Maybe you even added something like (verb), too! You're not very clever, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home