Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Passwords -- what type of password do you use? Am I the only one who just makes crap up, and doesn't use the same password for everything? Most people seem to use birthdates and stuff, or names and easily recognizable words. Perhaps it started from an early paranoia of being "hacked," but mine always end up like this "dn309mz2" Usually there is some easily recognizable pattern on the keyboard if you get right down to it, but that only makes sense when I think about it. It's little motion-mnemonics, like 03oekdmc. See what I did there?

Contact lenses -- can somebody PLEASE explain the biology of this to me? I wear contact lenses, but only while riding my bike. If I put my contacts in during the afternoon, I don't really like it, but it's not really so bad. However, on days like today, when I have to put the lenses in within 1 or 2 hours of waking up, they BURN LIKE HELL when I put them in my eyes. What's up with that? It's not anything related to the contacts, since it doesn't matter if they have been in the case for 12 hours or 36 -- or even if they are brand new, for that matter, though that helps. What gives?

The 50 degree barrier has finally been broken. I don't even know what the official results of the groundhog were, but winter seems to indeed be over. This is Seattle, so I expect rain, but what impresses me is just how important 10 degrees is. Last Saturday, our ride started out with partly cloudy skies, temperatures in the low 40's, and everybody was pretty comfy, wearing less than full winter kit. Then, the rain hit, and though I don't entirely understand the meteorology of it, this was that type of "cold rain," that feels like it soaks through you completely, completely destroys your entire will to live, for the moment. It's pretty dismal. 39 degrees, the bank said as I shivered for home, and even after a warm shower that I absolutely did not want to step out of, I was STILL cold. This week, it's been hovering right around 50, and I am just shocked how much of a difference that makes. It's only 10 degrees, right? On Tuesday I got rained on quite steadily for the whole ride, but it didn't seem to matter -- I just kept ticking off the miles, letting the rain run across my glasses and down my face, wringing out my gloves occasionally, being happy about my new Northwave Celsius goretex cycling shoes, no problem. Compared to the purgatory that Saturday felt, it's wonderful. I fully expect to get soaked plenty of times in the coming months, and covered in the sand that seems to permeate EVERYTHING in the puget sound, but it's all right.

Can you believe road racing starts in only 3 weeks? With the amount of time most of us have lost training over the madness that was this winter, I wonder how well people will be feeling come Mason Lake, et al. We will see...

2 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger allons-y said...

    nope, I use the same password for just about everything, and its not complex at all. I have a second one for "fancy" logins where you need extra characters or stuff, but thats only a few sites and is similar to my first one. I guess my school password (email, student account, library) is complex, but they make you make it super complex.

    want to send some of that end of winter eastwards? it's friggen freezing here. The 20 degree barrier hasn't been broken, but its supposed to this weekend (and I will be out riding)

    and yes, 3 weeks to racing, time to get pumped (for races that are really just training anyways)

     
  • At 11:55 AM , Blogger stokediam said...

    So come on, tell us about all those 2-4 mile climbs you did while skipping out on the BIG team ride?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home