Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Pet Peeve of the Day:

I may have already complained about this, but it's seriously stupid, and it seems EVERYBODY's cell phone does it these days. I'm talking about the rigamaroll it you've got go to through just to leave a message: "hello, this is so and so with such and such a company. I'm not available, but, if you'd leave your name, number, and a detailed message, I'll get back to you just as soon as I can, thanks for calling." Now, on a good old fashioned answering machine, you'd hear a BEEP, leave your message, and be done. Instead, Miss Computer Voice says: "Please leave your message after the tone. [didn't your caller just SAY that?] Press 1 to send a numeric page [Has ANYONE ever done this?] When you are finished recording, you may hang up, or press 5 for more options.

Since all cell phones also have caller ID, the odds are that at some point through going through all of this crap and starting to leave a message, the party you tried to call will have called YOU back, at which point they will be listening to the same crap on your phone, and either leave a message, or hang up and have to listen to YOUR message, and then you will call them back while they are doing THAT, and...

I've seriously had to go through that game with people about five times. I am convinced that it is a conspiracy by the phone companies to get us to waste more minutes.

Sure, you might say, hook up a regular answering machine. What, to my cell phone? Oh, get rid of the cell phone? I wish, but it is REALLY nice to have the ability to call people when I'm on my bike, both for emergencies and missed connections.

The end point is that It would NOT be that hard for phone companies to make it so that, if you had your own pre-recorded greeting, they could dispense with that whole computer-voice crap. They just don't want to.

Also, stokediam, you linked to my weblog -- thanks! -- but there was a bit of a typeo there, you get a dead link. I think an extra slash, or something.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:05 AM , Blogger stokediam said...

    Thanks, I got it fixed. Blogger was being a pain and wouldn't let me in until I upgraded, which takes time, which I seem to spend listening to voice mail and defending FRM cat 3 guys for their unfriendly behavior on the road!

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger allons-y said...

    i know...i hate that.

    although phone tag is a great game.

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger stokediam said...

    Rumor has it that you rode away from Chris today? What's up with that--besides his 10,000 miles since November?

     
  • At 11:20 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    I totally waited for him.

    We are NICE, remember, us FRM riders?

     
  • At 12:24 PM , Blogger OrigamiKid said...

    If the person you are calling is on a Verizon network, you can press * during any of the message and it will go straight to the beep. But I agree, it is super annoying to listen to all that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home