Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Yesterday I did a great job at accomplishing my training goals: stay awake for as short a time as possible, and eat a lot.

My sister used to complain that I got the "skinny genes," and my rest day food gets me wondering how much of tastes are genetic. As a broke, vegetarian bike racer, I find myself eating a TON of bread, pasta, and oatmeal, all of which is just fine. As far as "traditional" junk foods, like fries, chips, and doughnuts go, I find myself completely uninterested in them.

Apparently this isn't the norm for Americans. Fatty and salty do little for me.

On the other hand, I have the capacity to eat copious amounts of various flavored, congealed sugars. I don't really like chocolate or ice cream (the heresy!), but can put away a pound of red vines in no time. What's up with that? It's pretty well always been this way. Any candy products that contains sugar almost exclusively, and I'm there. So, last night, I went and collected some mike and ikes, some red vines, and bags of those little "apple slices" and "peach rings" that convenicence stores have for two for a dollar. Inflation seems to have missed these babies, since they have been 2 / $1 since I can recall, whereas regular candy bars have gone from 49 cents to 89.

I am just glad I was given flouride treatment for my teeth as a youngster...

5 Comments:

  • At 12:21 PM , Blogger stokediam said...

    Just watch out for gelatin as the congealer of your sweets, or you ain't no vegetarian!

     
  • At 4:51 PM , Blogger allons-y said...

    whats a red vine?

    the rest of those sound good.....i aint no vegetarian, but i eat super healthy, but I love ice cream, and oreo's. post-race/hard workout however, I will put just about anything that sounds appetizing into me

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    what's a red vine? Come on, you've seen red vines... they are red "licorice." Not nasty plastic like twizzlers.

    Stoked, I know about the gelatin thing. Most candy stuff just uses corn starch, though I do think gelatin is near the vegetarian / vegan line, and veganism is a bit much for me. Oh, well, it is all arbitrary anyhow...

     
  • At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yeah, thanks ... JERK (kidding) for your 2000 goal. Here I was all happy and content til I see a racer like me in the mix drop a 2K bid. Man, I was all guilty seeing as I would have likely hit that by mid april. Now you have to throw in the 2k. Man, the ribs were all but MINE. So, to make things fair... Im having him bump mine to 2k. Thanks a lot.

    funknuggets

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home