Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

An assortment of things:

"In like a Lion" -- I saw this phrase a few places, and I guess I was the only one who hadn't heard that March "comes in like a lion, but goes out like a lamb."

What does THAT mean? Is it a reference to the weather? If so, it has been a WEIRD March of Seattle weather. This whole winter has been bizarre. The Pacific Northwest, fair Cascadia, is known for winters that pound you into submission with their depressing monotony. Okay, that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but still. It almost never snows or stays below freezing during the days. It is almost never sunny. We basically get 3 solid months of 39 to 44 degrees and rain, in some degree.

Last week, on Tuesday, it was 72 -- this is June-weather. The week before that, there was a 45-car pileup at Cayuse pass because of the massive snowstorm. It hit some areas harder than others, but in lotsa Snohomish they got about 6 inches of snow. That's the average annual snowfall in seattle, or nearly. Last week it went back to Seattle "winter" weather, then it got hit on the head by "spring."

Still, people complain about the rain, but I don't understand how people LIVE in places where it never un-freezees from December to March. How is that fun?

Superheroes -- Chris made an observation a while back about cyclists that I thought was funny enough to share, especially because it's so right. I'm paraphrasing here, but he says that we're the athletic equivalent of the 30-year-old dude who lives in his mom's basement and plays online video games all day. Nobody understands what he's doing and he really doesn't have a "life," but he's a superhero in a world that doesn't really exist. How many times have you suffered and died up that one hill, how many long, solitary hours have you pedalled along in the rain, how much antisocial suffering has it been, just for that one day of "glory?" Why the heck do we do this to ourselves?

The Name Game -- So, I've never really had a nickname. For some reason, Area Cyclists are big on it. It makes me laugh when they call fast guys "Mr Boots," and "The Pleasure." I'm sure they all have stories behind them. The Axley guys seem particularly big on this. I nearly spat out my tea when I read about "Darth Tubbs." I don't get it, but I don't know these types. I do know that Chris started calling me "The Spaniard," a couple of weeks ago, and this must've passed on to Kerry, because he called me that last week. Okay, I am not from Spain, and I don't have any distant relatives from Spain, as far as I know. So, what then? Is it because I have a goatee?

Ladies and Crashing -- What is going on with constant crashes in women's fields? Is it because the fields are so much smaller that the fight for the few wheels that are available? Are the women repressing so much aggression that they go all roller-derby in every race? They certainly aren't out of road...

This doesn't help my case when I try to persuade cycling-inclined ladies to come out to race. But, seriously, I mathed out one recent race, and there were 293 men and 42 women.

Okay, then.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM , Blogger stokediam said...

    Response from an editor: If March doesn't come in like a lion, it will go out like one. If one end is like a lamb, the other will be lionish. Watch out for the other March weather phenomenon: the equinox storm. The 50-car pile-up was on Snoqualmie Pass; Cayuse is closed for the winter and all of next summer, too, because of storm damage. And certainly women don't monopolize the crashes in bike races; the men's fields have so far had their share as well. But your math on the sex ratio is right--now you know why it's so much easier for the men to remember the women's names but we're a little challenged when it comes to sorting all of you out. Nicknames only make it worse but fortunately they don't stick to everybody.

     
  • At 10:01 PM , Blogger josh said...

    ive never heard of in like a lion....then again, red vines, and i think something else....so im pretty much 0/3 (or at least 0/2).

    as for nicknames.....sexylegs is funnier than the spaniard. however, take what you can get

    oynpxpj - i had to type that out just to leave a comment, sooooo pointless (yes, im going to keep at this)

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger josh said...

    oh yea, the superhero analogy was a good one, albeit slightly depressing yet rather true.

    we dont all live in our parents basements though....

    frcuwyd

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Blogger stokediam said...

    In case you're not tired of the weather yet, have you heard this one about spring weather: April showers bring May flowers? Tells you what you're up against next month....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home