Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm on a guest internet connection here that's painfully playing the turtle, so I'll keep this one brief.

The Anointed Ones --

Did you ever notice how many different ointments, oils, and other liquids bike racers need? It's kind of weird. Sunblock for exposed skin, pre-race warming oil for the legs, with an extra coat of petroleum jelly if it's really raining. Chap stick. Chamois cream. I've got to throw in contacts, too, and I usually add some Clear Eyes for good measure. Why does the stuff that's supposed to prevent your eyes from irritation sting like hell when you put it in your eyes? Seriously, it does, but at least it goes away.

Milestones:

The "real season" of bike racing is here. Prime Climb Time -- let's go stage racing. The Tour of Walla Walla kicks off tomorrow. It's a 3-day, 4-stage deal. Walla Walla will be my last race as a Cat 3 -- from next week on out, I'll be racing in the Cat 2 field. This means, at 95% of races, I'll be going wheel-to-wheel with the pros. I'm excited for this race, but not nearly as stoked as I am for the dragon that makes this race look like a newt:

The Mt Hood Classic stage race. I really don't know what I've gotten myself into, but I'm signed up. In the Pro/1/2 field, at that. The flyer advertises: 6 stages. 350 miles. 30,000 feet of climbing. At Hood, there will be entire TEAMS of professional riders, with directeur sportifs and team cars and mechanics and everything else.

When I thought I might try out a bike race just on two years ago, I never thought I'd be here now. Whatever else I should or shouldn't be doing with my life at the moment, this is cool.

---
Time to crash. I've got to wake up early to hunt down some breakfast before we hit the road. Brett just told me he generally didn't eat breakfast.

How do people SURVIVE without brekky?

It's beyond me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home