Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Emoboy bikeracer connundrum:

1) Bike racing is hard
2) I tend to quit things that are hard
3) I carry on bike racing
4) Bike racing is sometimes *really* hard

To mix all of the above up, this weekend got realy hard, and I quit. It was actually a funny lesson in mortality. First "real climbing" race with the fast 1/2 kids. So, argentineffigeloplexicus, what did you think was going to happen when you decided to ride up those two mountains on Wenesday? Oh, you think it's a good idea to then ride 4.5 hours on Thursday? Of course it is! Now, when is your race? 1pm? Oh, whatever, breakfast, you can get by on a scone, a banana, and some juice. You don't even need to eat during the race! Look, you should be able to drop that Cofidis guy. Really. Keep it up, dork.

What? It's two thirds of the way through the race, and you're going pretty deep in the red to stay with the lead dozen? Getting gapped off a bit? Time to abandon!

If this sounds dumb to you, it does to me, too. But it's still what I did.

Minus thinking I could drop the protour rider.

On the plus side, I actually had FUN in a crit. Sure, I didn't do anything exciting, but in criteriums past I'd be so white-knuckled on the bars I'd be barely able to go around the corners, and this time we were at night, under the lights, over surfaces that can only generously be called "pavement," and it was the first main event crit I've done. So, that was cool.

In the end though, it makes me angry. Though CYCA (who doesn't seem to know what that stands for, and neither do I!) says being angry never helped him race better, he adds that doesn't stop him from feeling that way. For my part, it probably WILL help.

Like I said...

5 Comments:

  • At 7:54 AM , Blogger Andrew said...

    keep going, tyler!
    I'd love to see you stick with something you're passionate about.
    ...
    Also, will I ever see you again?
    I'll be in Portland from May 20th to June 4th.

    ----andy

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Coach You Can Afford.

     
  • At 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You did great.It was a hard race!Only the top guys were in that group.I was watching in the feed zone/kom area the final time up & richter was hittin it so hard (in the big-ring) even your cofidis pro-tour guy was geting gapped.so keep your head-up!

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger stokediam said...

    Learn from what made you angry, apply it to your next race, and it WILL make you race better.

     
  • At 7:06 AM , Blogger FishrCutB8 said...

    You'll be just fine, A. Get back on teh bixxor and ride!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home