Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Okay, what now?

How about, supertubes. And, superfeet.

Supertubes are these. I got 'em at the wal-mart of bicycles, Performance, because I hate flat tires. Yes, yes I do. They're "thorn-resistant tubes," which basically means that they are inner tubes that are so thick that you might as well just carve a tread pattern into them and ride with them only. A nice, light race tire weighs about 200-220 grams, or just on half a pound. These inner tubes weigh about 250 grams. They roll like slugs, but, you will not get flats from any little pissy pieces of glass any more. I got -- no exaggeration this time -- 8 flats in 2 weeks from that stuff.

The one on the right is the Supertube. Pictured with a normal, 75-gram inner tube. From the picture on the website, you'd have no idea they were this burly.



I hadn't really thought about why I was gettin' all the flats, either, but I remembered it didn't used to be that way. Then someone pointed out that I lived in Washington state now, not Portland, Oregon. What's the difference?

No bottle bill. Sure, sure, it's only a nickel. I'm having a hard time tracking down the numbers, but I think something in the upper eighty-percent range of deposit-requiring containers in Oregon are recycled, whereas about a third of depositless bottled water bottles are recycled. Sundays and Mondays are the worst. All of the bottles of smashed, cheap beers are everywhere.

Anyway, so, now I have these supertubes, plus Michelin Carbon tires, plus "Slime" tire liners, which are like Mr. Tuffys.

Of course at this point I may as well be rolling on bricks. Slightly rounded bricks.

---
Superfeet are insoles. I just got some for my cycling shoes, after several weeks of pain in the arches of my feet after hard rides. It wasn't so bad, really, but they were cheap enough, I had an REI giftcard (thanks, R+R), and it seemed worth a shot. Wow, what a difference. I'm really surprised. Have you ever listened to the radio with really horrid reception, and gotten used to it? Then, when the reception clears up, you think, "wow, how was I even tolerating that before?"

It was like that.

Mick was talking about that, too, only with fancier parts.

It makes me consider actually looking into how my feet affect my riding, instead of just picking something and going with it. I just bought shoes that I thought fit online, and some pedals, and rode. Maybe I should try to make sense of these things? I have no idea about proper cleat positioning, cleat shims, how my shoes should fit, anything. I think my shoes might actually be a hair too narrow, as I used to get blisters between the smallest and second-smallest toes on my left foot. There's a callus there now, but it is kinda annoying nonetheless...
---

Pet Peeves of the day:
* "On the Go" -- have I complained about this useless little phrase before? It's everywhere. It doesn't mean anything. It's useless. Travel-sized, single-serving, no-tools-required, ready-made, heat and serve, snack pack, bullcrap. "Fight Club" all over again. I think I might be the most interesting single-serving friend you've ever met.

Unintelligible sale prices: I just bought some stuff from Safeway. Most of it was on sale, because, what else can you do? But it was on sale for prices like this:
* 5 / $3.00
* 10 / $10.00
* 4 / $8.00
* Buy 3, get 3 free
I can't decide which is worse, the five for three dollars (EDIT: Crap, I mean, THREE for FIVE dollars) which makes me have to do math to discover that the items are $1.66 each, or ten for ten dollars, because, get with the program, it costs one fucking dollar. Then you have to play the little game where you hunt on the sale tag to see if you buy less than the numerator quantity, if you still get the price. Are five unites going to cost five dollars, or will it end up being $6.89? At Safeway, as far as I can tell, you never need to buy the listewd quantity, but at other stores, especially convenience stores, it's two for three dollars, single purchase regular price. Or how about this one?
* $3.89 each (when you buy two. Single purchase regular price, $4.99)
Now that's just not. Cool.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:17 PM , Blogger josh said...

    a good fitting would put your mind at rest...

    hup has a solid upper left corner (of the continental states) contigent. ive never met any of them, but i hear good things. heck, i only really know 2 or 3 guys on hup on this side of the country. there is something like 55-56 ppl across the nation who are a part...i should prbly work on that.

     
  • At 8:49 PM , Blogger giantcu92 said...

    I got me some Superfeet as well. Cheap, and they rock. Now I have to visit the chiro and get my back straightened out, and all will be well.

    I wasted a ton o' money on a very good fitting. What did they do? Lowered my bars a touch, suggested a shorter stem, didn't move my cleats, didn't move my saddle, didn't move the post up or down. In other words, if you've been riding a little while, and things feel OK, they probably are.

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hmmmm.. I just lost all respect for a certain University in Portland. 5 for $3.00 works out to $0.60/ea, not $1.66. What did they teach you down in the Rose city?

    - Chilli the math geek

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Aw, crap, I meant three for five dollars.

    I mean, obviously.

     
  • At 10:23 AM , Anonymous cycling supplies said...

    I don't get this. "They're "thorn-resistant tubes," which basically means that they are inner tubes that are so thick that you might as well just carve a tread pattern into them and ride with them only." Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



    cycling supplies

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home