Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

All right, you guys win.


Just stop being fucking right, okay? I'm going to concede two points right now:


First of all, overtraining. I didn't really believe that this existed; sure, being tired, getting a day worth of rest, fine, but I tried to blame my poor performance on a bunch of things besides just having fallen off a cliff of overtraining. Well, let me revise, I've heard it said recently that "there's no such thing as overtraining, only underrecovery." I think that sounds right. The net result is, I had a very, very light week of riding last week, and I finally feel that I've crossed the chasm. A little bit of the snap is gone from the legs, but a week isn't long enough to lose more than that, I hope. I felt like I had slugs in my veins for weeks and I kept trying to do the classically stupid cyclist response, which is, "I am riding slowly. I must train harder." Then, I would go out and train harder, only I couldn't really train hard because of the slugs, so I just rode myself into the ground and got more tired.


Good plan, eh? Working on your feet, throwing boxes around and stuff, all night, then going for a bike ride, coming home, taking a nap, and riding for a few hours, then taking another nap, then going back to work and doing it all over again, it seems isn't quite the right answer when I get 4 or 5 fitful hours of sleep in a day. I've got my schedule a bit more sorted now. If I can make myself "waste time" by sleeping more, then I might avoid doing the Same Stupid Thing all over again.


Next up is helmets. Now, I -almost- always wear my helmet, but I've been a No Big Deal helmet guy before. See, I figured the chances that a helmet would prevent my sudden demise were pretty minimal, and I still recognize that a Sudden Impact with a car or telephone pole at thirty miles an hour would be game over, styrofoam hat or not. But, I think it would've prevented Fatty's friend Kenny from getting his head split open. Hey, I mean it, though, don't look at the link if you don't feel like seeing a split-open head. I think my hair would probably give me DR 1, but the No.6 would probably be worth another 3 or 4. I'd really rather not have the 1d+1 end up 7 without it.


Points if you understood that.


The point, though, is that I'm going to keep on wearing mine. And I will promise that I will at least continue the hunt for another Bell Sweep at a steal of a deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home