Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Sunday, July 29, 2007


The Himalayan Blackberry is all over the place in these parts. Public officials classify it as a noxious weed, and with good reason -- the thorny, tangled canes would serve well to imprison any Sleeping Beauty you might like. I daresay they'd work better than roses.

But, for all that, they produce these:

Delicious. Blackberries have always been one of my favorite fruits. Wikipedia even tells me that botanists would call them an "aggregate fruit," instead of a berry, and of course they're really dark purple instead of black. Whatever. Now I have over two gallons of them, and that's just from yesterday. All along the mult-use trails in the Puget Sound area, the only real limit to the number of these you can collect is how long you'd like to spend, and what your tolerance for thorniness is.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:13 AM , Blogger Brooke Hoyer said...

    I picked a bunch and made some kick-ass jam. Just sugar and berries.

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    The memories, right? ;)
    I scoff at people here paying for them.

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    You also need some tolerance of spiders and bees. And purple fingernails for a while. We had blackberry-nectarine crumble tonight. Mmmmmmmmm! Or "schweeeet" as Jamie would say.

     
  • At 10:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I also daresay I've had as many flats from blackberry thorns as anything else.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home