Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Today has a longer story, but let's just get this up for now, shall we?

I made a bunch of last-minute phone calls about Bellingham on Sunday, but only managed to secure 2 out of the 3 important parts (car there, bed, car back), so, sadly, it was not to be.

Here's what did get done today:




The new BB slotted in fine, and, once again, I'm amazed at how much seal drag these Truvativ / SRAM bearings have when they're brand new. How many watts is that worth? Probably a lot less than it feels like in the stand. But, the bearings are not vaguely rounded rocks like the last one, so that's good.

The headset, however, is not so good. It don't fit. Since I already had it out again, I thoroughly, thoroughly regreased the old one, which means I have done so about 4 times in the past month and a half, plus the bold one.

The girl at the produce stand gave me a lot of peppers. I mean, a LOT of peppers. They were by the bag, and, so, I took what I could carry. End result: I nearly fell over sideways coming down 25th. This is why I really like single-strap messenger bags, over two-strap backpacks -- they position the weight right for RIDING with a lot of stuff. People complain about them putting the weight on one shoulder, but, crap, the weight isn't supposed to be on either shoulder! It goes over the middle of your back, between your shoulder blades. Except for being heavier, you really don't feel it so much when you're leaned over, riding, but the stopping and starting, especially on steep hills, can get a little crazy.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:49 AM , Blogger cruzer2424 said...

    the girl at the produce stand... she wanted you.

    also, that headset is for a DBR carbon frame, right? What kind of headset is it?

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    I think she just wanted to dispense with the pile of peppers before the end of the day.

    The headset is a FSA Impact Pro, but the contact surfaces on the bearings aren't the same angles as the cups in the frame -- yeah, my DBR carbon. I don't know much about this stuff, but I THIINK that they make multiple angles. The shop must have ordered the wrong one.

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Blogger josh said...

    as i sit here eating grapes and annie's, i envy your cooking skillz (even if all you really did was hollow out a pepper and put in macaroni salad, still its more than i can do).

     
  • At 4:07 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    my cooking skillz suck. But I made the macaroni stuff, at least. It has tomatoes, olives, basil, parsley, and garlic in it, along with parmesan and olive oil. I'd have used capers, too, if I had any.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home