Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

I didn't end up with a lot of pictures of my own from my euro-venture, because my flash card took a dive after two days, and after that I wasn't certain if it was saving pictures, or not, so I decided it wasn't worth taking pics, and then finding out at home that zero of them were intact. It turned out that it was, but that's okay. I'm to get a big ol' CD of pics from travelling companions soon enough here...

But, for the moment, let me draw your attention to two things:

First is a fairly blurry snap of what the keyboards look like in Deutschland. They were the same in Austria and Switzerland. I didn't get a look at a Czech keyboard. Does anyone know, then, what the ones in the rest o' europe look like? And, now I'm going to ask the silly obvious, but I'm betting that cyrillic keyboards are aroundabouts, too. What in the world do you do on one of those if you need to type a Latin language?



Next, have a look at the bike parking lot at the train station in Köln (Cologne). This type of thing was typical at Bahnhofs (train / subway stations) and other central urban areas everywhere. Note the security system, or lack thereof, from American standards. A few bikes were not locked at all. Most, though, are simply standing on their kickstands, with a lock between the rear wheel and the main frame triangle, rendering the bike unrideable. Many bikes even have a handcuff-type device affixed to the seat tube, expressly for this purpose. If one wanted, it would be easy to simply carry away any number of these bikes, but from the volume of them, I gather this is uncommon, but I don't really know.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger josh said...

    i have a pic of bike parking in firenze or bologna. like 2 football fields of bikes. it was nuts.

     
  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Miriam said...

    Yea they dont even lock their bikes in Utrect Netherlands. Its freaking nuts...if your bike is "stolen" you just go down to the "dealer" give him a couple of Euro and you get essentially the same bike back...its almost like a rental system.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home