Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, September 24, 2007

It's all your fault.

Yes, you. It's people like you who are making the world a bad place.

I saw you in Safeway last night. You got in my way fumbling around with your cell phone, blocking the aisle, but that's not such a big deal. I mocked you, probably, in my head. You had on these super-tight white pants, and a black, lacy shirt. Have you ever heard the term, "twenty-footer?" It's often applied to cars that have a shiny coat of paint over a load of dents and bondo. That's you, my dear. Though you're not old enough to be my grandmother, you certainly could be a grandmother. The aesthetic faux pas, on its own, also isn't such a big deal, but I do think it demonstrates your lack of perspective on, well, yourself. The way that you interact with the world.

You were a minute or so behind me as I placed my groceries on the conveyor belt. As I did so, the cashier turned off her "open" sign, and a courtesy clerk placed a little barricade in front of the belt, since the cashier was, I'm not sure, ending her shift or going on break or something.

But, here you come, chattering away on your cell phone. "No, I don't like that kind of concealer," you say, "it's too clumpy!" Too clumpy, indeed.

You ignore the lack of "open" sign, you dodge around the barricade, and begin to place your groceries onto the conveyor. "Excuse me, ma'am," says the cashier, "but I'm closing, John can help you the next aisle over." This also you ignore. "Ma'am? I'm closing..." she tries. You make a dismissive, sniffing noise, but it's not clear if it's to the cell phone, or to the cashier. It's a moot point anyway. She's got no choice but to crank you through.

It's my fault, too. The cashier, of course, is powerless to say much more to you. Corporate policy, and what have you, I'm sure. The customer wins, or something like that. It was down to someone like me to tell you where to shove your self-centered antics, and I didn't. I just glared at you, and went about my way. I got home before my frozen stuff melted, at least.

Shame on me.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:11 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:12 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    bending over backward to the thoughtless among us has become status-pro-quo ever since the dollar was rendered more valuable than civility and community.

     
  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    The above is not from me.
    ...
    Working at Target has shown me that the code with the syntax and semantics of light on = open register is...extremely fucking cryptic for reasons I know not. :)

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Blogger Jimmy said...

    that chick sounds hot. post a damn picture next time! haha.

     
  • At 11:52 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    She wasn't. At all. Ugh.

    But she tried pretty hard to pretend that wasn't the case.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home