Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Friday, September 14, 2007


Ritter Sport is like the Hershey's chocolate bar of Germany, only, far more marketed. Also, it has far more goodness. They are actually cheaper than a Hershey's bar, too, PPP-wise.

Cailler chocolate is Swiss. We checked out the factory, and got to eat essentially as much as we wanted in a 15-minute "taste test" window. The tour was all videos, images, and guided exhibits; I'm told you used to essentially run amok about the factory. I think they also used to give out free stuff at the end...

Nestle Smarties aren't really that fancy, but, I fell in love with them as an 11-year-old, when my British nanny brought some for me. They're like M&M's, but with better chocolate and more candy coating. They don't sell them in the US, for some reason. I can't figure out if it's because of the name of the sugar-powdered US "Smarties," or because the design is too similar to M&M's.

The best part of Ritter sport is that back of the package reads: Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. Now, I don't speak German, but that sounds like: "Square. Practical. Good." I like that.

PS, Dad, I'm sorry. This will foil your weight-loss plan entirely.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    You can buy Ritter Sport at real Euro spots like Trader Joe's and World Market. And QFC and Bartells. You missed out if you didn't get any Lindt chocolate....

     
  • At 7:06 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    Smarties are available at the British Pantry in Redmond.

     
  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    I've seen the Ritter sport at cost plus and the like, but at premium-chocolate prices I'd never tried it! It IS quite "gut."

    Thanks for the headsup on British Pantry though! I didn't know about that, on account of Redmond being about a million miles from Milton.

     
  • At 11:28 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    Ritter Sport bars (and Lindt) are available at Target (tm).

     
  • At 8:32 PM , Blogger josh said...

    I discovered milka when in Italia. Not quite as high-zoot as the others, but I swear they put crack in there. Plus I can find it easily.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home