Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Thursday, October 18, 2007


Gettin' groceries in style. That's 1973 style, son.

This bike is neat. I have other bikes that are fast, or light, or practical. This one is just neat. It's almost 10 years older than yours truly, and everything on it is made of steel. Steel cranks. Steel rims. Steel fenders. They don't make 'em like this any more.

You don't see bikes like this in the US any more, but I guess they used to be more common. I posted this photo from the Köln Hauptbahnhof in Germany, before. The "city bike" is everywhere over there, and they should be.


The upright seating, simple controls, chainguard, and full metal fenders means you don't need to do much other than pedal. And, you don't work very hard. That's the point. I'll write a whole sappy piece tomorrow about how cool it is to commute on this bike, in the early pre-dawn hours, but the point is this: I cross over the interstate at one point. Traffic is already snarled down there. I win.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM , Blogger Miriam said...

    Thats a gorgeous bike. I just turned my track bike into a brake-less (no way am I drilling holes in that bike) commuter. Commute only has like 3 stops, so its not too bad. Just a lot of planning ahead. Definitely no skidding or top tube pads.

     
  • At 6:53 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Yeah, I've always said brakeless fixies around town was stupid, but I think with the qualification that all you do is putter about a flat town, it's pretty harmless.

    The only problemo with the Schwinn is that there are 3 ways out of my apartment complex: 2 are 10% hills, and one is the highway. Oh, well. I don't feel bad going walking-speed on it. Good times.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home