Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I think Kman doesn't like my blog anymore because I don't talk about bikes enough.

Well, I gota lotta stuff to talk about.

Don't you worry.

But not right now.

I am going to say, in response to the last question, that the economist in question worked in South America, and not Africa, of that much I am sure -- but I do not remember the countries specifically. I think it may be more of an issue of ecnomic exploitation than one of ecology, at least from the research that I could find. See, I wondered if peanut farming didn't damage the soil in some way, but it seems that, like other legumes (Peanuts are legumes -- beans, essentially -- and not nuts at all), they are nitrogen-fixing, not nitrogen-depleting. That is to say, they fertilize the ground they are grown in.

A brief side point: it's one of the other pro-vegetarian arguments that many beef eatin' types nod about, but in the end don't care: cattle farming is more environmentally devastating than you may realize. In addition to the methane emissions -- and, yes, cows contribute significantly to "climate change," as they now call it -- cattle deplete soil's nutrients a whole lot. Bad times if you needed to grow stuff there.

Compare that to a veggie source of protein, like soya. See the properties above.

But, anyway. I still don't know why the Mexican didn't like peanuts.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:04 AM , Blogger K-Man said...

    Whaddaya mean. I still love your blog.

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Anonymous Cruzer said...

    So I was thinking about this the other day, and its funny because Josh had a similar rant about the exact same thing.

    I really like your blog. I like the fact that you don't always talk about bikes. I work at a bike shop as well as training/riding plenty, and the typical answer to every question my friends ask me has to do with bikes.

    "Hey Mike, lets go to the bar."
    "Sure. I have to be home early and I can't drink too much. I have to ride tomorrow."

    "Hey Mike, what are you doing later? Lets go see Transformers."
    "Can you wait until I finish my ride?"

    In my previous life, I was a music major in college. One of the things that my cello teacher recommended to all her students was find a hobby. She thought that having more than one dimension, or having a diverse set of experiences makes a better musician. I feel like it makes a better person.

    Sometimes I feel one sided. As in everything I eat, breathe, and sleep has to do with bikes (which is kind of true in a way... I eat nutritious and healthy food, I breathe clean air [read: don't smoke], and tend to think of sleep as "recovery"). I'm really not. I don't think I am anyway.

    Keep posting about your "off the bike" experiences. It helps those one sided people like me realize there is more to life than pedaling in circles all day.

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Miriam said...

    ah, but the Veggy's dilema: Rice farming also releases a large amount of CH4 too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home