Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Aw, somebody get in my head, pull the thoughts out, and update my blog for me, m'kay?
---
So, here is a post on fruit, while thinking of summer. I never posted this pic on the 'blog, and I never really got a Seattle summer. Yep. I ate some of these berries in my oatmeal today, which is what made me think of it.



Today I also ate a can of diet peaches. Yeah, DIET peaches. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
I didn't even know when I bought them. They just looked like the little cans of peaches, with a pull-tab, so you can take them for your lunchbreak at work and whatnot, which is what I did.

I ate them, and thought, these are kind of strange peaches. Then I looked closely at the label, and, apparently they are really great because they have "only" 60 calories, since they are sweetened with sucralose, aka "Splenda." Oh, but you see, compared with the gajillion calories in the "standard" peaches in heavy syrup, this is great!

Wait a minute. Can't I just have, you know, peaches? Without syrup, or splenda, or anything, just peach juice? I mean, they are quite sweet on their own.

Crap, this is what I get for going to the grocery outlet. Cans of peaches four for a dollar, but bonus cancer. I guess that is why they are at the outlet.



I see the little "sweetened with splenda" symbol now that I'm LOOKING for it, but it's something I did not think to look for whatsoever.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger josh said...

    for some reason the phrase "take your serving of cancer like a man" popped into my head. disturbing.

     
  • At 12:57 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    The green among us would ask why you're eating cooked, canned fruit from far away. Freeze your own local peaches during the summer if you want to eat them out of season. (If you can them, you'll discover why canning in peach juice is not commercially viable.)

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Pfshaw, I knew someone like you would pop in with that one.

    Yes, miss green, in the study with the candlestick, I oughta in a perfect world. If I had that much time and preparation, though, I would do --- well, a lot more things.

    I can't feel too bad about it, splenda aside. I mean, stuff at the grocery outlet is there because it didn't sell, so it's hardly helping the market for splendacannedpeaches. And, I picked them up on my bicycle, and then recycle the can...

    But to be honest I'm not too up on canning, anyway. I got my first mason jars this past summer, for my blackberries, and that's all I did. The next one I plan to do lots...

     
  • At 5:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home