Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Nature Can't Decide and Goes for a Bit of Everything --

Most of November was unseasonably clear, cold, and dry. It was 26 when I left for a ride just before dawn on Thanksgiving morning, which I know ain't all that cold by the standards of people who live in, you know, snowy places. Trust me, for the PNW in November, that's pretty weird. Don't get me wrong, cold and sunny is a nice change.

On Saturday, 1st December, I went for a ride before work. At six thirty, I drank my coffee on the porch and watched a light dusting of snow taper off. By eight it was chilly, but overall fairly pleasant. As I rode into the parking lot at work at noon, it was almost what I'd call nice out. Then, two hours later, it had cooled considerably, and snow flurries blanketed the parking lot out of the windows. I worried about the ride home a bit -- there's a steep hill to go down, and I had a road bike. Never fear, though, it was all rain by nine pm on the way home.

So, the point is:
1st Dec, High 38 F
3rd Dec, High 59 F

I'm no major meteorologist, but something about cold air and hot air running into each other makes things like rain, doesn't it?

It didn't really stop raining between Saturday night and this afternoon.

I left for a ride this morning, and found that my street looked like this:



And like this



"Closed," it said, but I got through. Gore-tex cycling shoes are nice. The water came ALMOST up to my bottom bracket, at the shallowest part. Most cars turned back, as, amusingly, did one of those massive suburban pickup trucks with a lift kit, to I guess LOOK badass. But this guy got through:



I feel badly for these folks and their brand-new house. They literally finished a bunch of the landscaping last weekend. Then again, you would think that, living at elevation zero, on a flood plain, with the Hylebos creek about ten feet from your property, would be something of a give away.

Remember that Monty Python and the Holy Grail bit about building castles in swamps? Pdog and I were just talking about the wisdom of the new housing developments on the they are building as we speak on the Puyallup R's flood plain.





Eventually, though, I got outta town and headed southeast, to the Foothills trail, which was a serious effort in the headwind. I don't use a computer, but I swear I was running at just under time-trial effort to go, what, 16 miles an hour?

Here's the start of the Carbon River, just after it splits off from the Puyallup.


5 Comments:

  • At 8:44 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    When we bought our house, we laughed that we had to pay a fee so somebody could check whether it was in a flood plain (it's on the top of a ridge). They must not do that any more, or else it's meaningless and just a way to charge another fee?

     
  • At 8:51 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    They still do that.

    There was a big production recently when developers wanted to redefine the puyallup river flood plain.

    It has something to do with a federal flood insurance program.

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Anonymous FRM Oregon said...

    Are you guys going to float away up there?
    I rode today and it was sunny and 65 degrees.
    No kidding.
    Move south . . . .

     
  • At 8:09 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    Hey FRM Oregon, Argentius abandoned us. For my ride yesterday, it was 57 degrees and dry (twilight), which is close enough to 65 to keep me from driving south. Never mind that I-5is shut down for the foreseeable future. It was sunny and gorgeous riding here last Saturday too...between snow storms!

     
  • At 8:38 PM , Blogger josh said...

    thats a lot of water.

    turn it to snow, and you have what it looks like here....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home