Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, January 14, 2008



I couldn't resist buying these at Costco. This is Coke, the "real" kind. No, not the ancient stuff that was sold as a medicine and had coca leaves, like essentially all "medicines" in the 19th century. I mean, the first kind to be bottled, with carbonation: in glass, with sugar instead of nasty High Fructose Corn syrup. Always the real thing! An American icon, right?

When someone asked me if they still made those things, I replied, "Si por supuesto... hecho en Mexico, seƱor." Sure enough, the side of the bottle says "DISFRUTA" Coca-Cola.

So, yes, this particular American icon is still available. In Mexico. So, if you're hopping the border fence any time soon, bring me along a case, willya?

---


PS: I am still amazed by the volume of this stuff I used to drink: about three liters a day, if you were curious. I think it came from a very "health-conscious" upbringing, in which soda was kind of a Holy Grail of unattainable treats except for a few special occasions. So, naturally, as soon as I could control my own purchases walking home from middle school, I would always stop at the little convenience store and buy a Coke. But, this was on a five-to-ten dollar per week allowance, so I had to be budget conscious. If a twenty-ounce bottle cost $0.99, and a two liter bottle cost $1.29, often on sale for $0.99, what would YOU do?

4 Comments:

  • At 7:13 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    I think you need to use your newfound medical/dental benefits to go see a dentist!

     
  • At 11:35 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Oh, I've seen dentists since quitting Coke (at least, more than very infrequently), my teeth are suprisingly okay. Good brushing habits drilled into my head as a youngster, plus flouride and sealants, had to help. I'm still gonna get a checkup, though.

    I got my medical cards in the mail this week, even.

     
  • At 3:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Being in south Texas, we can usually find the good Coke at stores or restaurants. Great after an epic ride!

     
  • At 11:21 AM , Blogger ryan said...

    You can always find real Coke at mexican bodegas and even sometimes at Costplus.

    Apt word-verification: newts.

    You feel a minor buzz.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home