Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Questions from a commute:

Here's parts of my daily commute through my neighborhood, all within a three-mile radius of my apartment.

This is the hill that begins my daily trek to work. Can you tell how steep it is from the photo? The answer is fairly, but not terribly. Steep enough that, on my forty-something pound Schwinn, with a bag of clothes and stuff, first thing at 3:30am, it is pretty steep.



They've recently been doing quite a bit of improvement on this hill, including the tearing up of some trees and a closed-down section of the Lloyd gravel pit, to make way for the "Stone Ridge" senior living community, who "Put the LIFE in senior lifestyle!" Whatever that's supposed to mean.

They also built this, at the bottom of the hill, adjacent to my complex's entrance. Do you have any idea what in the world it is? It's just the tower, plus that one building.



On the way to work, I pass the strange collection of construction I've remarked upon frequently before: the Lloyd gravel pit, a freeway overpass, some white picket fences and horses, a high school, an old church, and then, a new section of one and twenty strip mall that contains my employer. It still looks like a dirt pile on google maps.

Guess how many old Studebakers this guy had on his lot?

Answer: At least twenty. They were all buried in the mud, until a few weeks ago. Now they're all cleared off, presumably turned into scrap steel, I guess to make way for new construction.



The weird part is, so far as I could tell, they were ALL Studebakers. Cars, trucks, everything, all rusted, mossy, and decayed by who knows how many years of burial. Did this guy used to run a shop, before my lifetime? Who knows. I wanted to get a shot of all of them, but that was in rainier times, and before I got the camera out here, most were hauled away.

Oh, those horses? In case you wanted to take them down the stream that's at the bottom of my street:



I have never seen a mounted horse in my time in Washington, though many houses in the area -- really, quite a few, it's odd -- keep them. Most of the older trails have signs telling riders to dismount and walk horses across certain wooden bridges and the like. I wonder when this was a frequent concern, enough that they'd make signs about it?

Finally, here is the new Tacoma Narrows bridge. There's no question here, but it is pretty.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:43 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    In the construction theme, I discovered on Monday's ride that the property next door to my grandparents' farm has been developed as an industrial park with 4 monstrous warehouses. The expression "heavy heart" came to mind as I was riding away.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home