Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Pet Peeve of the Day: Peanuts.

Yeah, the regular old kind you eat. I mentioned an econonmics question about the things a while back, and now I'm just going to talk about these things as a food. I hate them. Most especially, I hate peanut butter,

Actually, I don't hate eating peanuts, and I don't really mind a peanut butter sandwich if someone hands it to me and there's nothing else around, though I can't actually recall the last time that has happened. I think they are middling unpleasant.

The thing I hate about peanut butter is that, in the United States, the stuff is EVERYYwhere. I mean, I can't turn my head without seeing something peanut butter. I get angry at any assortment pack of any packaged food item, which of course I'd avoid entirely except their portability makes them good cycling and road food. But any variety pack of, say, Clif bars, or granola bars, or any other snacktype item includes at least one, sometimes two, peanut or peanut butter varieties. Blah. Many American granola type mixes include peanuts.

Like, what the crap is that stupid stuff that people pass off as trail mix now? It's basically chocolate M&M-clones, peanuts, raisins, and maybe two or three almonds.

So, it's like this: I really like most tree nuts ("real" nuts, you know) and drupe seeds that are nuts in the culinary sense, like Almonds. I especially love hazelnuts, and in Europeland they seem to be all the rage: Hazelnut butter -- Nutella and clones -- are ubiquitous. Most chocolates and candies have hazelnuts as the standard variety. Many breakfast-cereals and muselis have hazelnuts in 'em. They're everywhere. Peanuts? Nowhere to be seen. I remember my sister desperately looking for a Taste of Home in France, and essentially being unable to find peanut butter, nearly at all, except one tiny jar of "peanut pate" at one little specialty grocer.

Now, Hazelnuts, or what we farm country Oregonians and other Cascadians often call "Filberts," are pretty common in this part of the world, so that's not any excuse. So, what gives? I know peanuts are cheaper by the pound, and THAT is because they are NOT a nut, and don't need a whole tree to grow, but still.

Tomorrow I'm going to tell you about my Muesli, and a funny story about Nutella.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:18 PM , Blogger STOKED I AM said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:35 AM , Blogger ryan said...

    Hazelnuts were all over the dinner I had tonight at Fife. All Cascadian-grown ingredients, all from sustainable farms, and mostly organic (maybe all of it, as certification is stupid).


    I, uh, I had a steak.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger Miriam said...

    Peanuts are aweful. In a continuum of bad to worse peanut stuffs: peanut butter cookies > peanut butter > peanuts > peanuts in food (except Thai food, for some reason its a little different...)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home