Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, June 30, 2008

No Men Need Apply --

While browsing apartment listings, I searched Craigslist, both in the "apartments" section, and in the "shared / roomates" section. I'm not especially surprised to find that many listings state a gender preference, nor is it shocking that, of those with a preference, the vast majority state that they'd like only women to contact them. After all, I can understand how a single woman would prefer not to room with a male stranger, but that a single man might not care whether another guy or a girl lived with him. I can even almost shrug about "2 dudes looking for a couple of girls to live with us, so we don't live in a house full of guys," and the like.

What DID surprise me -- and perhaps it should not have -- was the number of single men looking for a woman to live with them. There were even several entries offering free rent for a young lady who'd like to live in their house and do housework. Does this, you know, actually happen? My bullshit detector went off at the first such entry, which was reasonably articulate. Then I saw this one:

"My house, upperscale,FREE RENT all bills paid. Be cute and Fit and young, no Drama and Games. be smart when emailing me. I'm Clean and late 30's. You must send me a Face picture."

Wow.

F'real?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Miriam. said...

    Wow. Where are you looking for an apt? Seattle/burbs/P-Town?

     
  • At 10:26 AM , Blogger BAS said...

    I think all of those are in violation of the Federal Housing Discrimination act.

    You can't rent based on religion/gender/race.

    Even if it is a room in you own place..

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home