Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Let There Be Images.

If a television is on in the room, I am useless. I can do nothing apart from stare at the pretty pictures, whatever they may be. It's like what happens if you have an indoor cat and open the window.

In that light, I have noticed that my past few articles have been short, and notably lacking in pretty pictures.

I was also asked today, "What kind of place is Tacoma to live? Is there anything to do?"

Here, then, is 7th avenue in Tacoma. Whose idea was it just to pour asphalt over all of those cobbles? And, really, someone who knows about urban engineering, what does it take to rip up that layer of blacktop and restore the paving stones? Would it be ridiculously, prohibitively expensive?



In other news, and this is HUGE :

THE PUGET SOUND IS NOW ON GOOGLE STREET VIEW.

Go check it out. Right now. I'll wait.

Here is the works at Valhalla Coffee, which shares space with, and is fully visible from within, the Mandolin Cafe (second picture) S 12th st in the 6th av neighborhood of T-town, making it the only active roastery and coffee shop in town that I know of. Also a great place to check out some low-key shows, drink a glass of wine, or eat a slice of pie. The Mandolin is one of the places in Tacoma that I will truly miss -- there's not much like it out there. Every "cool" hangout in every TV drama is set in a place just like this. The picture of the cafe itself is a crummy iPhone pic in crummy light, but it's halloween, which is why the band is dressed as a bunch of Civil War casualties...



4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Stoked said...

    "...one of the places I will truly miss"--where're you going?

     
  • At 10:42 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Closer to you, actually!

    Just getting out of the south sound, heading to Seattle proper when my lease is up.

    It is a strange sort of not-really goodbye, to casual acquaintances and the like, since I think I will have absolutely no reason to return to area. There's just nothing that compelling about the South that will make me want to make the 35-mile journey down.

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Stoked said...

    Keep us posted when you move into King County....

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The stones on the roads that look like Paris-Roubaix stones are actually ballast stones from the many container ships which came to the Port of Tacoma long long ago. An interesting method for recycling the stones, but it didn't (still doesn't) make for an ideal road surface.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home