Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Coffee Mastery:

I never did earn my Black Apron, so I'm not a real Coffee Master, but I put my powers to use this morning.

Office Coffee here gets a lot of complaints about being "mud," or "grease," but really that's just because it's Peet's Major Dickason blend, which works well enough for me. Sure, it's a little boring, and gets a little repetitive, and, yes, it comes in pre-ground packets, but still, it's pretty solid coffee for office stuff.

But, today, people were concerned that there would be none of it. Today, we ran out of filters. It's a standard light-commercial machine, and accepts the standard flat “basket” type of paper filters.

Everyone was getting confused and excited and searching the same places 43 times for new filters. There's got to be some around here somewhere!

Now granted they were under-caffeinated, but all looked at me with both trepidation and amazement as I put a folded-to-fit paper towel in the basket.  Yes, that works fine, it is just a little more annoying and makes the coffee a tiny nudge less strong.
 
Seriously, folks.  You can do it.

Yes, the guys who had French Presses at their desks, instead of using the drip brewer, were okay. They mocked the drip drinkers for needing filters at all, and they're right, but I don't want to spend the time in the office clean out the suckers, to say nothing of pre-grinding, measuring, and bringing in my own beans!

In related news, can anyone tell me, or link me, to some good information about what, chemically, causes coffee to become crummy as it cools, and why microwaving it tastes terrible? Does it have to do with releasing CO2? I know that freshly-roasted coffee beans do contain plenty of that.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:13 AM , Blogger Miriam. said...

    I bought a coffee grinder and a cone filter coffee maker for our office. I also spend $80 on beans a month. But hey, it keeps everybody happy and we're scientists, read: we run on coffee.

    And yes, I have to keep a close eye on the coffee supplies, because there will be a major crisis if we get low in coffee/cream/filters.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home