Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pet Peeve of the Day: Social Networking Goes Downhill --

Yours Truly doesn't make extensive use of most of the "Web 2.0" out there, but I'm not completely absent, either. The simple weblog allows for everyone to be his or her own editor-in-chief, about whatever subjects they please, and I'm in favor of anything that makes folks read more. Okay, not entirely, but it is nice to be able to share experiences and opinions with a diverse group of people too spread out to regularly keep in contact with otherwise.

Only begrudgingly has your humble narrator created "profiles" on sites such as Myspace and Facebook, the complexities of and purpose behind which elude him. Sometimes they have served to connect with a long-lost friend: I recently heard from a childhood neighbor, for instance.

However, today I was the recipient of a series of messages that make me seriously consider deleting or inactivating those profiles. It went like this:

I got a message from Person X, who I have never met. X even lives in a state that I have never visited.

Person X is friends with Person Y.

Person Y is married to Person Z.

According to X, Z is having intimate relations with person A, with whom I am acquainted.

Therefore: ( null )

No recommendation or proposition is made by X, and the message is a bit of a form letter. It seems X simply took the time to copy this message to every member of A's friends list, in attempt to cause them some sort of social inconvienience.

--

X, I would like to suggest that you find something productive to do with your time.

Like writing an exciting and dynamic weblog about your interests and philosophies.

No, wait.

I said productive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home