Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Science of a Day Without:

Riders refer to "un jour sans," or, "a day without." Some days, whatever horsepower you've usually got on the bike, you've got half of it, and nothing you can do makes it better. Yesterday's ride home was like that for Yours Truly -- I felt a little bit tired at the end of the day at the office, but as soon as I got on the road, my legs turned into useless wet noodles. There's no particularly good reason for this: I slept okay the night before, I'd eaten enough, and, crap, it's a one-hour ride, there's nothing dramatic about it. It's not as though I was totally worn out!

I'm curious about the science of this happening. What is it, biologically or chemically, that makes us break sometimes? Last night, I slept a bunch, and this morning, it was as though nothing happened. These days, I do the same commute, one hour each way, twice a day, five days a week, and add in usually one more two-or-three-hour ride over the weekends. Not a lot of mixing it up. I'll admit that the part of me that's a cycling fanatic pines for those weekend hundred-mile days, but those will come again.

Anyhow, what the heck broke in my legs? What fixed it?

Can I get a mult-spectrum lightbulb to put into my helmet to shine pseudo-sunlight on my face?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home