Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Everyone okay out there this morning? Seattle? Portland?

I live just at the base of a 350-foot hill, surrounded by an admittedly dwindling number of trees, and find the weather out my window has little to do with the "real" weather everywhere else.

This means that, on days like today, I don't realize anything is out of the ordinary until I'm out of my complex and up the hill, when I notice, hey, the road looks all sparkly. While this is kind of pretty, it's also slick!

Yesterday, I got only a dusting of snow on my lenses, but I hear that Seattle had more snow. For all of those folks living in places where it's actually cold, don't get started about how you cna ride in snow just fine, you don't know what all the fuss is about. When it's just barely 32 degrees outside, and the snow and frost is semi-congealed on the ground, you wouldn't want to ride, either.

You've read the physics of ice skating, right? You don't skate ON the ice, you skate ABOVE it, on a thin layer of meltwater trapped between the blades and the frozen surface.

It's like that, only, without the triple toe loops. And crashing sucks more.

This is only maybe four degrees colder than average for the area, but there's a big difference between 35, where it's just wet, and 31, when it's a slick wonderland.

If you've made it in, perhaps you can answer this question about nerves and fingers for me: when I start a ride in colder temperatures, of course my hands get cold, but my LEFT INDEX FINGER almost immediately becomes painfully cold. What gives? I am sure this is some kind of nerve or circulation issue, but I'm not sure if there's an easy fix.

It happens wearing any of my 3 pairs of long-fingered gloves, and it feels colder near the start of a ride. If I ride harder, it often goes away, which leads me to believe it's somehow circulation-related. If the cold "sets in," though, it'll hurt and tingle as it warms up, and then feel a tad numb for the next four hours or so. Weird. Ideas?

4 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM , Blogger Miriam. said...

    Rayaud's Syndrome or Disease. Google it. I've got the disease, most common is the syndrome. I've given up on ever feeling my feet below 55F. Mom has it too, and her naturopath suggested ginko. She says it has helped.

     
  • At 9:48 PM , Blogger Miriam. said...

    That should be Raynauds...whoops

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Blogger Stoked said...

    If you ever, ever got frostbite or anything even sort of close to frostbite, that digit will always be the one that gets cold first and most easily.

     
  • At 7:53 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Hrm.

    I haven't spent a lot of time in the arctic, but, "anything close to frostbite" is a pretty broad stroke. Maybe.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home