Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, April 06, 2009

I've declared that the phrase "STIMULUS PACKAGE" is hereby stricken from colloquial speech. Seriously. It's played out.

(I'll improve on YOUR methods!)

In other news, I recently went to the optometrist.

Last time I did this, about 3 years ago, I was paying out of pocket, so I went to Costco for a contact lens exam. I think it set me back $75?

This time, I had vision insurance, so I went to the provider my insurance recommended in my area. It only cost me a copay, but, I got the billing statement that shows what they're billing my insurance: Just over $300. $80 for the "contact fitting fee," and $120 for the basic exam, plus another $100 for something I didn't understand.

Really?

This is not a medical eye exam. I wear single-vision glasses / contacts, I have -1.75 in both eyes, and my prescription is either spherical, or the tiniest cylinder correction on the books. No other issues. I had my old contacts, size remained the same.

I was there for perhaps 30 minutes.

Are these kind of charges normal? Does anyone pay them? Is this just the kind of deal they put on the bill to make your insurance look worthwhile, and then they negotiate paying far less?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home