Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Livin' it up, Tacoma Style --

Shot from my alley. According to a coworker from PA, this whole shoe-polishing celebratory remarks re: your graduation on your auto is SO PacNW.

In any case, I think this "graduate" appreciated the tongue-in-cheek reference he was making.



In other news, I have decide to begin a campaign against the word "utilize." That's a crappy word. I mean, what possible advantages does it have over "use?" What's wrong with "use," anyway?

This frame USES a 1.25" head tube.

That one UTILIZES a carbon fiber fork.

You should UTILIZE your credit card at the grocery store.

How many utils does this bring you?

4 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM , Blogger Brooke Hoyer said...

    You 'use' an item for its intended purpose. You 'utilize' something for it's not intended.

    I used a hammer to drive the nail.

    I utilized a metal pipe to drive the nail.

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    I mostly disagree. The words have similar etymology. I don't think most linguists would make this distinction more than "may suggest," though I agree "use" is more general purpose.

    I will utilize a baseball bat now. To stab them in teh livarz.

     
  • At 5:50 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    despite my 'awesome' diction, I'm with you.

     
  • At 8:30 PM , Blogger Argentius said...

    Awesome.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home