Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

RALEIGH RECORD ACE -- A quick peek.




Look who's coming to dinner: The new 2010 Raleigh Record Ace. The skinny: Race geometry. Lugged steel. Shimano 6700. Brooks Swallow. Under $2,000.

Yours Truly has not gotten a chance to ride this yet, but he will, just as soon as this weather settles down -- after all, here's what the National Weather Service has to say about today:

---

"RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL BE WIDESPREAD... AND SEATAC AIRPORT WILL LIKELY TIE OR BREAK ITS ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 100 DEGREES...AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING MEANS THAT A PROLONGED PERIOD OF DANGEROUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR.

A DANGEROUS SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE LIKELY. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS... STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED ROOM... STAY OUT OF THE SUN..." (emphasis mine)

---

Seriously?

I mean, sure, it is hot, but give me a break. It's hot everywhere, and just because it's twenty degrees over our average high temperature around here doesn't mean we are suddenly going to melt and die. Humidity at peak temperature is going to be in the 30% range.

Yes, I will have TWO water bottles on me for my bike ride home, and, sure, one will be all ice to start with. But this isn't going to stop me from four hours of bike commuting per day. If you don't lock your dog in the car, you'll be fine.

For everyone who is using the warmth to stay off of their bike: if you also use rain as an excuse for the same, you are not going to be riding very often in the Pacific Northwest.

I will say that the air quality is pretty crappy. Normally, the wind and rain keep us with beautifully clear air, even if the skies are grey. I could take a dose of THAT, right now.

I'm just glad that I don't sunburn after that initial toasting! I suppose I AM going to get skin cancer and die, but, that's life. Better than dying of obesity-related blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and wow this is getting more depressing than I intended.

It's going to be a great ride home, is my point.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger Brooke Hoyer said...

    I think it's about 5-7 degrees warmer down here. The ride home last evening at 105 degrees was pretty hot and on the cusp of dangerous.

    In very hot conditions, your heart is going to work harder because in addition to delivering oxygen, it moves it tot he surface in an attempt to radiate heat. So make sure to take it easier than normal.

    I went through two bottles in my first hour. I stopped at the Original Joe's at Jantzen Beach to refill bottles. I poured one over my head and neck before refilling it.

    When I got home I felt like I had a hangover.

    Of course I'm riding home again today.

     
  • At 1:52 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

    "I mean, sure, it is hot, but give me a break. It's hot everywhere, and just because it's twenty degrees over our average high temperature around here doesn't mean we are suddenly going to melt and die."

    Sometimes it does, but mainly for members of the elderly poor who lack a solid social safety-net:
    http://www.press.uchicago.edu/presssite/metadata.epl?mode=synopsis&bookkey=26501

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home