Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Rainy dark morning, 6:30 AM, heading east on a two-lane city street. About to turn north onto the MUT, I have to stop to allow westbound traffic to clear.

Headcheck behind me shows a car a ways back heading east as well. Westbound traffic doesn't stop for me headlight and hand signal or no.

Spidey sense tingles. Other eastbound car has not even slowed.

Nowhere to go -- I hear screeching tires and have just an instant.

Forget the turn, I point both wheels straight forward, east, hands off the brakes, and stay seated just as I feel the impact of his bumper on my tire.

My rear wheel is off the ground, my front may have lifted off for a moment, and then I'm rolling forward on both wheels. A few wobbles, I make my way to the curb.

Of course, the driver speeds off.




--

I've got a couple of bruises on my thighs and "sit bones" from the saddle, and my wrists hurt, but that's about it.

Heck, my rear wheel didn't even go out of true. Thanks, Campy.

The car that hit me was a Civic. I thank the stars that it wasn't a pickup...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home