Tossing and Tortured 'Till Dawn

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Monday, June 21, 2010

The weekend's progress -- some destruction, some construction.

Living room had 3 layers of wallpaper, with paint over it. Wallpaper is all down, and we've started plastering. Plaster is a weird, werid chemical. I am surprised by how sensitive the chemical reaction is: If I use refrigerated, distilled water, and a squeaky-clean mixing trough, it works just fine, setting in about twenty to thirty minutes.




But, if I fail at any one of those components -- if there are little bits of plaster from the last batch left in the trough, or if I use tap water, or lukewarm water, hey presto! The stuff sets in five minutes or less, far too quickly to work with. Who knew?

Kitchen wall -- I wish I had a "before" picture of the area over the stove, but what we have is a chimney, with lath and plaster over that, and over THAT was a bunch of prefab pseudo-mosaic ceramic tiles in a pretty ugly pattern. I'm not sure if this is from the fifties or the seventies, but it had to go.





Even if I could tolerate the stuff aesthetically, which was pretty horrible, the weight of it all, combined with fifty years of greasy cooking by the previous homeowner without a range hood, had made the plaster start to fall back from the lath.

Removed! What a mess, though a fairly satisfying one. I'll keep the lath in place while I decide what to do, but it's probably going to come down along with the bottom half of the wall, which has a sheet of a sort of pseudo-subway tile for wainscotting, if that mess of jargon makes any sense.

Ideally, I'd like to add a range hood, vented right through the chimney, but I'll need to a little more research to find out how feasible this is.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Venting the hood through the chimney probably isn't a great idea; you'd need to install a liner in the chimney and of course it wouldn't work at all if anything that generates CO is also connected to the chimney. But since the wall's down, could you not run a proper vent up to the roof?

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    That's a good point, Anon. I do have a gas boiler and water heater hooked up to the chimney.

    As for a "proper vent to the roodf," you will have to forgive this house noob, but I don't know what constitutes a "proper" vent.

    Is this basically just a piece of metal pipe that would run from hood, inside the wall to the roof?

    If so, that makes sense; the trouble is right now I really haven't got a way to get ONTO the roof, I only have a sixteen-foot ladder and it isn't close to tall enough.

    I actually need to install some attic vents, anyway, I have none, so roof access is something I will need to rectify...

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger Tim said...

    I know an electrician...

     
  • At 10:19 AM , Blogger Argentius said...

    I heard, Tim.

    Ugh, I have to update this blog... after I do 21397 other things.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home